Select another Area of Practice:
Over the past 65 years, we have grown to become one of the largest and most sophisticated real estate law firms in the state. We have handled virtually every type of real estate and business transaction, representing buyers, sellers, developers and lenders of all types and sizes.
This extensive experience provides our attorneys a keen understanding of the real estate industry and the issues it faces in today's increasingly complex business environment.
Areas of Law
Our capabilities include:
Real Estate Transactions
We routinely represent buyers and sellers in real estate transactions including:
- Agricultural and raw land
- Office, industrial and retail properties
- Apartment and condominium projects
- Multi-family and single family residential properties
- Commercial leasing
Real Estate and Financing
Real estate developers of all sizes and levels of sophistication choose us to represent them in the myriad issues involved in the acquisition, development and financing of real estate projects.
We have prepared governing documents for many mandatory homeowners' associations, condominiums and country clubs as well.
With the support of our Banking and Institutional Lending Practice Group, Broad and Cassel represents lending institutions on a wide array of real estate projects including:
- Real estate syndications and REITs
- Joint ventures
- Acquisition, construction and permanent financing
- Restructurings and work-outs
- Lender liability
Our attorneys represent both landlords and tenants in leasing transactions involving all types of commercial properties, including:
- Multi-use properties
- Raw land
With specialized eminent domain attorneys representing both property owners and condemning authorities, this group has become one of the most respected Eminent Domain groups in Florida.
We have also successfully represented numerous developers and property owners when a loan restructuring or workout was the best strategy.
As a component of our Real Estate practice, we routinely examine title insurance commitments and title reports on behalf of our clients. We have extensive experience in clearing title and evaluating title insurance risks. We also serve as agents for all of the major national title insurance underwriters who are active in the State of Florida.
Land Use and Environmental Law
As environmental regulations become stricter, our attorneys have emerged as leaders in Florida’s legal industry, representing developers and property owners in a wide variety of environmental and land use matters.
Zoning and Permitting
We successfully represent developers, property owners and governments in complex zoning and permitting issues.
The Firm has represented Florida governmental entities throughout our history. We have been involved in acquisitions on behalf of the Orange County School Board, the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority, City of South Miami Community Redevelopment Agency, City of Coral Gables and various other condemning authorities. Click here to learn more about our Government Relations practice group.
- Buyer, seller, developer, borrower and lender representation in all types of real estate and business transactions, both simple and complex, including Sec. 1031 tax-deferred exchanges. We have handled transactions involving hotels, office buildings, high-rise and low-rise apartments, condominiums and cooperatives, multi-family residential projects, single family residences, medical buildings, hospitals, regional shopping centers, local shopping centers, resort communities, theme and amusement parks, mixed-use projects, nursing homes and congregate living facilities, industrial parks, marinas, spas, yacht and health clubs, and tennis and golf course communities.
- Lender and borrower representation in virtually every conceivable lending transaction, including convertible mortgage and asset-based loans, equity and profit participations, wraparound financing, SBA financing, securitized financing, as well as traditional acquisition, development, construction, revolving and permanent financing
- Loan modifications, restructuring and workouts on behalf of lenders and borrowers for all types of loan arrangements
- Representation of consortiums of lenders, lead lenders, and participants in various types of loans and projects specified above
- Private and public syndications of numerous properties including apartments, office buildings, shopping centers, motels and hotels, adult congregate living facilities, nursing homes, hospitals and other medical facilities, etc.
- Joint ventures between financial institutions and developers for all types of projects
- Representation of individuals and groups of developers in handling all types of acquisition and ownership arrangements
- Long term leasing, air-rights agreements, licensing and easements and other complex real estate use arrangements
- Zoning and land use matters of all types including permitting, licensing and all types of administrative matters pertaining to real estate. Our in-depth experience includes presentations, permitting and dispute resolution involving zoning and land use, concurrency issues, wetlands, coastal construction, and developments of regional impact.
- Environmental law matters concerning all aspects of real estate including review and analysis of environmental impacts of real estate ownership and lending transactions and dealing with all governmental inquiries, permitting and actions relative to these matters
- Condemnation and eminent domain matters, including inverse condemnation, on a statewide basis including representation of client before the Federal Government, the State of Florida and its subdivisions, particularly the Department of Transportation, as well as counties and municipalities