Select another Area of Practice:
Labor and Employment
For many companies, managing the workplace has become an increasingly complex and litigious part of running their business. Consequently, businesses need experienced and dedicated counsel on hand to handle issues in a timely and cost-effective manner.
We have built one of the most comprehensive and experienced Labor and Employment Practice Groups in Florida, representing a diverse group of employers on a local and regional basis.
We have noteworthy experience in virtually all related areas of law, including:
- Employment policies and procedures manuals
- Management development and training
- Discrimination cases based on race, sex, age, disability, national origin and religion
- Whistleblower retaliations
- Family Medical Leave Act
- Fair Labor Standards Act
- Harassment issues in the workplace
- Public accommodation cases under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Issues involving wage and hour regulations
- Wrongful termination
We have also successfully represented clients in union organizing attempts and have handled collective bargaining negotiations. We routinely represent employers in federal and state courts, as well as before administrative agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Florida Commission on Human Rights, the Public Employees Relations Commission, and various state EEO deferral agencies.
First and foremost, the attorneys in our Labor and Employment Practice Group believe in litigation prevention, and we work with clients to prevent unfavorable developments before they happen. To that end, we work closely with in-house legal counsel and human resources managers to develop sound employment policies and procedures, as well as comprehensive record-keeping systems. We also help them achieve a safe and attractive work environment for both management and the company's employees. In addition, we make ourselves available at all times to immediately counsel and potentially defuse a tense employee situation before it turns into a full blown dispute.
When litigation does arise, we operate on two fundamental principles:
- To aggressively represent our client's interest to obtain the most favorable result
- To minimize the legal fees and related costs associated with any claim
To accomplish these objectives, we work in close partnership with our clients to evaluate cases on the front end. After that, we develop a case-specific litigation strategy and execute that strategy in the most cost-effective manner possible.
Recent Representative Matters
Ongoing representation of numerous local, statewide and regional employers in labor and employment law matters including:
- Representation of an employer and its employees against a former employer, resulting in appellate court’s finding that non-compete was unenforceable
- Labor counsel for employers regarding union organizing attempts and unfair labor practice charges
- Negotiation and administration of collective bargaining agreements on behalf of employers
- Successful defense of numerous cases involving claims of age discrimination, sex discrimination, sexual harassment, race discrimination, disability discrimination, wrongful discharge and retaliatory discharge
- Ongoing representation to numerous employers, providing day-to-day advice on all aspects of human resources issues, including disciplinary actions, terminations, discrimination/harassment investigations, leaves of absence and overtime