Select another Area of Practice:
Insurance Defense and Risk Management
Our goal is to help insurance companies and self-insured companies successfully navigate today's increasingly litigious society in a proactive and cost efficient manner. We have created one of the most diversified and sophisticated insurance defense practices in Florida, consistently delivering outstanding results.
Our overriding goal is to minimize risk exposure for our clients. When litigation does arise, we work hard to manage costs wherever possible in order to minimize the expense to our clients. We work closely with our clients at the outset of a matter to assess the merits of each particular case and determine a preferred defense strategy. Through efficient staffing, state-of-the-art litigation support systems, and vigilant attention to costs, we strive to deliver superior results at a reasonable legal fee.
In addition, we also have extensive experience in arbitration, mediation and alternative dispute resolution. In the instance that a case goes to trial, clients appreciate our extensive experience in both jury and non-jury trials and appeals in Florida and other state courts.
Our litigation strength flows directly from our experience in litigating a full range of complex business and commercial cases in Federal and State Courts involving a significant variety of issues, including:
- title insurance
- fidelity and surety law including banker’s blanket bonds, payment and performance bonds, and court bonds
- construction contract and defects issues including representation of owners, contractors, architects and engineers, directors and officers liability
- various other legal issues facing Insurance Companies in Florida
We have more than 50 years of experience in all aspects of insurance defense, from third party general liability defense to sophisticated products and professional liability defense, including first party coverage matters.
Our attorneys have a wide and deep range of experience, which includes experience and specialization in the following areas:
- Administrative and governmental law
- Insurance law
- All aspects of commercial and civil litigation
- The legislative representation process
- Litigating hundreds of property coverage cases
- Issues regarding casualty coverage and liability coverage for property and business owners
- Providing representation as General Counsel for the Florida Joint Underwriter’s Association
- Representation of Florida Insurance Guaranty Association
- Representing hundreds of clients in the State and Federal Appellate Courts throughout Florida
- Representation of RTC/FDIC in connection with failed savings and loan associations, including:
- Recovery of $36 million from major accounting firm in a global settlement of a failed thrift
- Recovery of $8 million from office and directors of failed savings and loan
- Litigation against directors of financial institution alleging $46 million in securities fraud
We have handled legal matters in virtually every area of insurance and financing and with every type of local government client. We are ready and able to provide a full range of legal services, or specialized assistance in any defined area, for the Florida Residential Property and Casualty Joint Underwriting Association.
Areas of Practice
Broad and Cassel has extensive experience representing insurance companies and self-insured companies in virtually all areas of personal injury, professional and general liability defense. Our scope of experience includes:
Professional Liability, representing:
- Attorneys, accountants and other professionals in defense of professional liability cases
- Corporate officers and directors in defense of third party and shareholder claims
- Physicians and other health care providers in defense of medical negligence claims
- Insurance brokers in agent negligence claims
- Insurance companies in coverage matters
Products Liability Defense, representing:
- Large corporate clients in defense of personal injury actions of all kinds, including asbestos exposure and silicone breast implants
- A wide variety of product liability matters on behalf of corporate clients and insurance companies
General Liability Defense:
- Environmental tort claims
- Arson claims
- Fidelity claims
- Construction defect claims
- Civil rights and employment-related claims
Broad and Cassel's experience in the area of Insurance Defense and Risk Management is compounded by its experience in other areas of law, including corporate and securities, tax, health care, insurance, real estate, zoning, commercial litigation, administrative, legislative, estate planning, probate and pension. The attorneys involved in these areas provide invaluable assistance as resources in creating innovative solutions to the corporate and securities industries.