Select another Area of Practice:
The actions of government - at the local, state and national levels - affect all of us every day. We believe that every organization should have an active voice regarding the rules and regulations that matter to them. The attorneys and lobbyists in our Government Relations Practice Group are committed to helping our clients get what they need from a wide variety of governmental entities at the local, state and national level.
Practice Group Philosophy
Our experience representing government entities and businesses before government entities runs deep, with our attorneys serving or having served as city and county attorneys, counsel to state agencies, counsel to special districts, district boards and utility and transportation authorities and as general and special counsel to other numerous entities across the state.
We serve as trusted advisors to our clients and provide counsel on various government and regulatory matters, including, but not limited to, those involving:
- Sunshine Law/Public Records
- Health Care
- Public finance
- Public/private leases
- Administrative law
- Eminent domain
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Land use and zoning
- Professional and business licenses
- Environmental permitting
- Labor and employment
- Labor negotiations
- Bid protests
- Outdoor advertising
- Highway safety and motor vehicles
- Federal regulations
- Brownfield site issues
- Developments of Regional Impact (DRI)
- Tort claims/Sovereign immunity
We use our experience and understanding to provide our private-sector clients with a unique perspective as we serve as their advocates before State and local government agencies. Our team of attorneys has served clients across many industries, including but not limited to, health care providers, telecommunications providers, home builders, developers, environmental firm, financial institutions and outdoor advertising firms. We have successfully drafted proposed legislation and worked with legislators and other organizations in and assisting with both the passage and defeat of significant state legislation for our clients.
Government Relations Experience
In direct response to our clients' needs for representation at the state level, we opened our Tallahassee office in 1987. Our Tallahassee office is located just minutes from the Florida Capital Building, and with offices across the State, we are able to more effectively serve the needs of our clients. Additionally, we offer our clients access to a nationwide network of lobbyists in Tallahassee, Washington, DC, and in every state capital.
The services of our government relations attorneys include:
- Representing clients before state and local regulatory agencies and departments
- Drafting and editing proposed legislation, rules, policies and procedures
- Developing and executing successful legislative strategies
- Tracking and analyzing existing and proposed policies, programs and legislation
- Assisting clients in government contracting and permitting issues
- Assisting clients in grant and funding opportunities and licensure application preparation
- Advocating or defeating client and industry-specific legislation
- Presentations and briefings to update clients and provide education to their associates and employees
Over the years, we have developed a keen understanding of how government works at the local, regional, state and federal levels. Our knowledge and experience, combined with our focus on excellent client service, has made Broad and Cassel one of Florida’s leading government service law firms.