Select another Area of Practice:
Estate Planning and Trusts
Families and individuals throughout Florida work hard to build and maintain wealth for themselves and for future generations. We represent thousands of families in the area of Estate Planning and Trusts. We take the time to fully understand their goals relating to the transfer of wealth and we are committed to apply the most sophisticated techniques and strategies to minimize taxes and achieve our clients' financial objectives.
Practice Group Philosophy
We invest the time and effort to learn as much as possible about our clients' personal and financial objectives and then develop a tailor-made strategy to best accomplish those objectives.
Our attorneys are leaders in their areas of practice. Many are CPAs, have worked at Big 4 accounting firms, and/or hold Masters of Law in Taxation. Moreover, they are frequent speakers and authors on estate planning topics at the local, state and national levels.
Estate Planning Experience
We are prepared to advise clients on the most basic and most complex aspects of estate planning, including planning for the disposition of business interests. Some examples include:
- Estate tax marital deduction planning and credit shelter trusts
- Revocable inter-vivos (living) trusts
- Gifts in estate planning, including the creation of sophisticated trusts, such as Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts (GRATs)
- Irrevocable trusts for disposition of insurance proceeds
- Charitable trusts to minimize income or estate tax liabilities, especially in disposing of interests in closely held businesses or highly appreciated assets
- Preparation and review of shareholder and partnership agreements as they relate to estate planning considerations
- Living wills, health care surrogate designations and durable powers of attorney
Probate Administration and Litigation
Probate administration can be very complex and time consuming. Our attorneys are widely recognized for their experience with virtually all issues that arise in the course of administering a trust, estate or guardianship. Broad and Cassel’s Estate Planning and Trusts attorneys serve as trusted advisors and provide our clients with unmatched service and advice throughout the probate process.
Unfortunately, disputes sometimes arise during probate administration. By combining the knowledge of our estate planning and trust attorneys with our seasoned litigators, we are able to provide our clients with the best possible representation. Our attorneys have extensive experience in all areas of probate litigation, including:
- Will contests
- Claims of undue influence or lack of capacity
- Probate accountings
- Actions brought against personal representatives or trustees
- All aspects of federal and state tax litigation (including tax appropriation issues)
- Elective share issues
- Actions involving creditor claims