Printer Friendly Biography
Kristin Ahr Esq.
West Palm Beach
Ms. Kristin M. Ahr is Of Counsel in the West Palm Beach office of Broad and Cassel and is a member of the Firm’s Labor and Employment and Commercial Litigation Practice Groups.
- Ms. Ahr has been practicing law in Florida for over twenty years. She serves as counsel to a broad range of clients, public and private, in both federal and state courts, as well as before administrative agencies, and alternative dispute resolution forums.
- Ms. Ahr represents businesses and individuals in employment related matters including discrimination and harassment and claims involving age, disability, race, sex, pregnancy, religion, marital status and national origin under federal, state and local laws, as well as claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and state and federal whistle-blower statutes. Ms. Ahr has significant experience in cases involving breaches of restrictive covenants (non-compete and non-solicitation), misappropriation of trade secrets, tortious interference and claims under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA).
- Ms. Ahr regularly helps her clients implement best practices, as well as maintain compliance in their workplace by counseling on employment policies. She also conducts employee training, employee discipline, internal investigations, wage and hour audits and litigation avoidance. Ms. Ahr assists employers in drafting employee handbooks, employment contracts, non-compete agreements and severance agreements. Ms. Ahr keeps abreast of new technology and legislation related to employment law, drafting Social Media policies, Bring Your Own Device policies (BYOD), sexual harassment policies, drug testing policies and responding to and reporting data breaches under the Florida Information Protection Act of 2014 (FIPA), as well as assisting with FLSA audits and compliance issues.
- Ms. Ahr successfully defended a national pharmacy chain against retaliation and claims of failure to accommodate brought by an employee under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). She has also defended employers against claims of FLSA and minimum wage violations including retaliation claims.
- In 2015, Ms. Ahr handled all employment agreements for a leading television production/distribution studio's acquisition of a digital marketing and communications company targeting the Latin American market.
- A frequent writer and speaker on topics related to labor and employment, Ms. Ahr recently presented to the Palm Beach County Medical Society on non-compete agreements and employment agreements.
- She was recognized among the "Florida Legal Elite" by Florida Trend magazine in 2015 and 2016.
Honors and Awards
"Florida Legal Elite" by Florida Trend magazine, 2015 and 2016
What Employers and Employees in Florida and the Eleventh Circuit Need to Know about Computer Use and Access Under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
The Advocate - South Palm Beach County Bar Association
The Legal Edges of Employee Computer Use
Daily Business Review