Printer Friendly Biography
Accreditations and Certifications:
Michael J. Bittman P.A.
Mr. Michael J. Bittman is a Partner in the Orlando office of Broad and Cassel. He is a member of the Firm’s Health Law and White Collar Defense and Compliance Practice Groups. Mr. Bittman also serves as Co-Chairperson of the Firm's Health Law Practice Group.
- Board certified as a specialist in Health Law, Mr. Bittman has extensive experience representing clients in the health care industry, including hospitals, nursing homes, managed care companies, pharmacies, medical equipment suppliers, home health agencies and physicians.
- He has been lead trial counsel in a number of federal, state and administrative health law cases and represents clients in health care fraud investigations, qui tam or whistleblower cases, contract disputes, health insurance claims, malpractice and medical staff disputes. He has also handled fraud and reimbursement cases involving millions of dollars in Medicare and Medicaid funds.
- Mr. Bittman served as lead defense counsel in a five-day civil False Claims Act trial before the Honorable Wm. Terrell Hodges, Senior U.S. District Judge. U.S. ex rel. Ortolano v. Admin Radiology, Case No. 5:10-cv-583 (M.D. Fla.). Judge Hodges granted Admin Radiology's motion for judgment as a matter of law and entered judgment in its favor, 2015 WL 403221 (M.D. Fla. Jan. 28, 2015), which the Eleventh Circuit affirmed, 2016 WL 1743474 (11th Cir. May 3, 2016).
- In addition to his litigation experience, Mr. Bittman serves as outside general counsel for hospitals and other health care entities, and represents parties in health care transactions, including the drafting of purchase and sale contracts, leases, management agreements, letters of intent and other documents.
- He is well-versed in federal and state fraud and abuse laws and Mr. Bittman’s knowledge and experience are invaluable to clients, who receive advice and recommendations regarding their compliance and risk reduction.
- He is a frequent presenter on issues related to health law, such as false claims, Medicare and Medicaid, health facility operations, governance, medical records, health insurance, ERISA, managed care liability, medical malpractice and fraud and abuse.
Mr. Bittman is an active member of various professional and community organizations.
- Mr. Bittman was named by “Best Lawyers in America®” as the 2012 and 2016 Orlando Health Care Law Lawyer of the Year.
- He has been selected as a “Florida Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers magazine in 2006-2017, recognized in the “Best Lawyers in America®” for Health Law in 2006-2017, recognized in Florida Trend Magazine's “Florida Legal Elite” in 2010 and 2013 and honored by Chambers USA: A Guide to America’s Leading Business Lawyers as a top healthcare attorney in 2010-2017.
Honors and Awards
Selected among the 2016 "Best of the Best USA" by ExpertGuides in Healthcare
Named by “Best Lawyers in America®” the 2012 and 2016 Orlando Health Care Law Lawyer of the Year
Chambers USA: A Guide to America’s Leading Business Lawyers – Healthcare Attorney, 2010-2017
Designated as a “Florida Legal Elite” in Florida Trend magazine, 2010 and 2013
Recognized in the “Best Lawyers in America®” for Health Law, 2006-2017
Selected as a “Florida Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers magazine, 2006 - 2017
Named among the “Top 100 Most Influential” awarded by the Orlando Business Journal, 2002
Honored as the “Best Health Care Attorney” in Orlando by Florida Medical Business, 2001
Achieved Achieved AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating with Martindale-Hubbel Peer Review Rating with Martindale-Hubbell
6 ways health care providers can reduce fraud, waste and abuse risks in 2016
Orlando Business Journal