Printer Friendly Biography
Laura Jo O. Thacker P.A.
Ms. Jo Thacker is a Partner in the Orlando office of Broad and Cassel. She is a member of the Firm's Government Relations, Real Estate, Public Finance and Capital Projects, Banking and Institutional Lending and Corporate and Securities Practice Groups.
- Ms. Thacker has a strong background across the state of Florida. Before joining Broad and Cassel, she served as the Osceola County Attorney for 13 years. As County Attorney, she represented the County in all legal matters. She drafted and reviewed contracts, resolutions and ordinances, attended County Commissioner meetings and kept the Commission informed on all legislation that would impact the local government.
- Ms. Thacker continues to represent the interests of property owners in front of Osceola County, the City of Kissimmee, the City of St. Cloud and the Toho Water Authority.
- Ms. Thacker focuses her practice on real estate transactions, land-use and zoning issues, intergovernmental coordination and planning, and public finance.
- She provides a wide variety of real estate services to clients, including handling negotiations, document preparation and closing acquisitions, title and survey matters, appraisal analysis, mediations and governmental coordination.
- Ms. Thacker is currently assisting as Outside General Counsel to the Osceola County Expressway Authority. She is providing overall program management assistance in addition to policies and procedures development from best practices garnered through advising many other public entity clients. She advises the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority on procurement matters.
- As part of her representation, she was intimately involved in negotiations of a Public-Private Partnership (P3) agreement with Polk County, Osceola County, the Osceola County Expressway Authority and Avatar. Ms. Thacker has served as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel, disclosure counsel, bank counsel, company counsel and trustee’s counsel on various state and local government financings throughout her career, including the Florida Governmental Utility Authority, School Board of Seminole County and the Orange County Industrial Development Authority. She also represents various banking clients on municipal finance related matters, such as government loans, letters of credit and bond trustee related matters.
Ms. Thacker is very active in the community and works closely with the Silver Spurs Rodeo, along with several other organizations. She serves on the Board of Trustees for both the Education Foundation of Osceola County Charter Schools and the First United Methodist Church - Kissimmee. She is a member of the Community Leadership Council for the Howard Phillips Center for Children and Families. She recently chaired the Boy Scouts Osceola County Golden Eagle event and was the 2010 recipient of the Osceola County Golden Eagle Award.
- She has represented institutional and non-institutional lenders in connection with the financing of sophisticated commercial transactions. She has handled the preparation and negotiation of loan commitments, loan documents and dealt with related issues. She has also represented clients in the purchase and sale of commercial and residential properties, development of commercial properties, commercial leasing and related transactions. She works with institutional lenders guiding them toward resolutions for troubled loans and complex workouts, including special asset needs such as forbearance agreements, short-sales and deed-in-lieu of foreclosure agreements. She is called on to assist clients in developing unique and innovative solutions.
- Ms. Thacker is an AV Preeminent®-rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell, achieving the rating agency’s highest marks for both competency and ethics.
- She was named in the 2013 - 2017 top legal guide "The Best Lawyers in America" for Real Estate.
- Ms. Thacker was also honored among Florida's Legal Elite by Florida Trend Magazine as a "Top Government Attorney" in 2007 and 2010 and previously received both the Presidents and Ethics Awards from the Florida Association of County Attorneys.
- Through her experience as County Attorney, Ms. Thacker gained strong and lasting relationships with county governments across the state and remains connected around Central Florida and throughout the state. She continues to work closely within Osceola County and serves in leadership roles in the Kissimmee/Osceola County Chamber of Commerce and previously with the Florida Association of Counties.
- A graduate of the University of Florida Levin College of Law, Ms. Thacker currently serves as a Trustee on the LCA Board of Trustees for the law school.
Honors and Awards
Osceola County Golden Eagle Dinner Chairman
Osceola County Golden Eagle Honoree
Florida Trend's Legal Elite, Top Government Attorneys
Florida Association County Attorneys, Presidents Award and Ethics Award
Listed in the Bond Buyer's Municipal Marketplace, a Red Book Directory
Achieved AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating with Martindale-Hubbell
Recognized in "The Best Lawyers in America®" Real Estate Law 2013 - 2017
"Best Lawyers" by Orlando Magazine, 2013-2016