Printer Friendly Biography
Mr. Roman Petra is Of Counsel in the Orlando office of Broad and Cassel. He is a member of the Firm’s Affordable Housing and Tax Credit, Real Estate, Taxation and Public Finance and Capital Projects Practice Groups.
- Mr. Petra has closed more than a billion dollars in real estate financing transactions. The majority of the transactions include numerous layers of equity and debt financing. His transactions have included various products and programs, including conventional debt, credit enhancement, derivatives, equity, New Market Tax Credits (NMTC), letters of credit, Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC), Freddie/Fannie debt, HUD, mezzanine debt, taxable/non-taxable (IRC sec. 103) bonds, municipal entitlement debt and USDA loans.
- He primarily represents US and European (doing business in US) real estate developers on various matters from acquisition, development, disposition, leasing, zoning, to other governmental matters. He is well-versed in the Immigrant Investor Program ("EB-5").
- Mr. Petra has counseled Fortune 100 Companies on various federal and state tax issues and has represented clients in tax controversy matters.
- He has experience counseling startup technology companies with confidentiality agreements, entity select, equity, incubation, licensing, patents, non-disclosure agreements, trademarks and trade secrets.
- Mr. Petra is experienced in advising companies on a variety of tax matters. His areas of concentration include entity selection, tax-free exchanges, NMTC, LIHTC, rehabilitation/renovation tax credits, and federal historic tax credits.
- He serves as developer counsel nationwide for historical tax credit, LIHTC, NMTC, HOME funds financing and other governmental matters.
- Mr. Petra is well-versed in alternative fundraising options, including crowdfunding, online platforms and Regulation A+.
- Mr. Petra has earned his CRE® designation, one of the highest recognition in the real estate professionals industry. In 2013, Mr. Petra received the national Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM) designation from the CCIM Institute. He is a graduate of the CCIM's 2014 Jay W. Levine Leadership Development Academy.
- He also holds an active real estate license as a broker-associate and is a licensed Florida real estate instructor and a Florida Realtor® faculty member.
- Mr. Petra has achieved an AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating with Martindale-Hubbell,which is the agency's highest mark for both competency and ethics.
- In 2015 and 2016 he was listed among the "Florida Legal Elite" by Florida Trend magazine.
- Mr. Petra is listed in the Bond Buyer's Municipal Marketplace, a Red Book Directory.
Honors and Awards
"Florida Legal Elite," 2015 and 2016
Achieved AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating with Martindale-Hubbell
Listed in the Bond Buyer's Municipal Marketplace, a Red Book Directory