Printer Friendly Biography
James E. Slater P.A.
Mr. James E. Slater is a Partner in the Orlando office of Broad and Cassel. He is a member of the Firm’s Real Estate Practice Group.
One particular area of focus is the representation of developers of low-income housing tax credit transactions. During his tenure at Broad and Cassel, Mr. Slater has represented developers in more than 100 transactions involving low income housing tax credits, conventional construction and permanent financing, tax exempt and taxable bond financing and state and local financing, grants and other forms of assistance in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, New York, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Arizona and California.
- Mr. Slater’s primary area of practice is real estate law, including land use, acquisition, development, sales, financing and brokerage.
- Mr. Slater’s additional areas of practice include commercial litigation, antitrust, contracts, business torts, foreclosures and land use and zoning matters.
- Prior to joining Broad and Cassel, Mr. Slater served as President of ZOM Properties, Inc.; Vice President of ZOM, Inc., ZOM Development Inc., and ZOM Management, Inc.; and also as Chief Operating Officer for all U.S. real estate operations for the companies. This Winter Park, Florida-based investment group specializes in the acquisition, development, management, brokerage and sale of U.S. real estate properties in association with foreign investors.
- Mr. Slater remains a member of the Board of Directors for ZOM Inc.
- Today the ZOM Companies and the CED Companies are among Mr. Slater’s notable clients.
- Currently, Mr. Slater’s practice consists primarily of the representation of developers, owners and investors in substantial real estate ventures and transactions.
- Mr. Slater has been involved in numerous acquisitions, financings and sales ranging between $1 million and $100 million.
- Mr. Slater is an AV Preeminent rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell. He was recognized by Chambers USA: A Guide to America's Leading Business Lawyers for 14 years in a row as a real estate lawyer. He was also named in the 2007-2017 editions of top legal guide "The Best Lawyers in America," published by Woodward and White, in Super Lawyers magazine 2008-2012 as a "Florida Super Lawyer," in Orlando magazine as a 2009-2016 "Best Lawyer" and in the 2009 Legal 500 legal reference guide.
Honors and Awards
"Best Lawyers" by Orlando Magazine, 2009 - 2016
Named in Legal 500 for his "excellent, high quality service"
"Florida Super Lawyer" by Super Lawyers magazine, 2008 - 2012
Recognized in "The Best Lawyers in America®" for real estate law, 2006 - 2017
Chambers USA: A Guide to America’s Leading Business Lawyers - Real Estate, 2003-2016
Achieved AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating with Martindale-Hubbell